WHY READ THE BIBLE
1) The Bible reveals who God is – and importantly, it reveals who His son is – Jesus Christ.
‘Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.’ John 20:30-31
2) The Bible also helps us discern truth. Photos, video and music are edited and altered to hide the truth. Information comes at us through many sources and many are false or twisted to hide the truth. The Bible says that our hearts are deceitful above all things and beyond cure. The Bible is very different, in fact it says:
‘All the words of my mouth are just; none of them is crooked or perverse. To the discerning all of them are right; they are upright to those who have found knowledge. ‘ Prov. 8:8-9
3) The Bible helps us determine God’s will. This may be for a specific decision – which job should I take or how should I react to a situation. However, when determining God’s will, we are suggesting a dynamic and relational interaction between yourself, God’s Word, and the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul sums it up best when he writes in the Book of Romans:
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. “ Romans 12:2
4) The Bible equips us to do God’s work. What good would it be if you acknowledge God’s son as saviour, can discern what is true and his will, but don’t know how to act on His behalf? The Bible tells us that:
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim. 3:16-17
- Read the Bible each morning and before you go to bed.
- Memorise His word to really engage with Him!
- Join a group to study the Bible